Saturday, November 22, 2008

SNOW!!!

Guess what everybody? The first real snowfall is here! It's so fluffy and crunchy and white! It snowed for the better part of the day today and accumulated to a full inch. It snowed once two weeks ago but the ground was too warm for the snow to stick. I sat in the house eating soup watching the snow fall in the wind at about a 45 degree angle. Today I had things to do! So Jamie and I got to drive around in the weather, slipping a little when we took each corner. Everyone went about 25 miles per hour so we were all very save despite the many opportunities of dings and fender benders. The wind was not harsh this time so it was fun to be outside surrounded by fluffy precipitation. Some of the snowflakes were as large as a nickle! One fell into my ear.



It's been a long time since I posted and a lot of great stuff has happened so I'll briefly try to fill you in. The last post was about installing a show in the Octagon Gallery. Since then I've been offered and have accepted an additional job as the Octagon's Ceramics Studio Manager. The studio is in the basement where the Octagon holds year round clay classes. It pays very little but the experience is invaluable and on top of that, I get my own huge studio space! I'm also teaching a teapot workshop in the Spring! CASA had its annual Fall open house last weekend (I have moved from a Shared Clay space to a semi-private studio space; I'm keeping my space there because it is such a resource of experience and talent), and this weekend I was hosted by a downtown business during ArtWalk (businesses let artists display work in their store for the afternoon). I unloaded a kiln for the event this morning:


and here is my table at ArtWalk:

(And I actually have sold a few pieces at these events! Yay!)

So that's what's been happening. I'm starting to feel at home at the Octagon and at CASA, and we've been getting together with Jamie's co-workers every couple of weeks. I will always be an outsider in Iowa because I drawwwl and say things like "Ya'll," "fixin' to" and "it's a quarter-to" instead of "it's a quarter-till," but it's starting to feel like we can make it up here - for a few years, anyway.

-Heather

No comments: