Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Watching the debates.

Heather: We've been following the politics and the credit crisis news pretty closely. It is such a turbulent time!

This is my advice for the most painless way to get the news these days: do not watch political news on tv. Only watch the debates themselves. It is at times like these that I appreciate being too poor to have cable. Iowa public radio gets news from the BBC which I listen to often. I can't believe how huge this credit crisis is. it is effecting Japanese markets, British markets, markets all over the world; even sending the government of Iceland into a tailspin. The country of Iceland may actually go bankrupt because of the housing bubble! How crazy is that?

I've been listening to some great interviews on the radio - "Fresh Air" had a great interview with an Alaskan journalist on today. "Talk of the Nation" seems to have pertinent shows with real content every day - I remember them doing a silly show on ice cream a few years ago; the world is their oyster now that we have so much to talk about. "This American Life" has done some really great in depth shows on the credit crisis.

I am flabbergasted to learn that businesses routinely rely so heavily on credit. it has to be more expensive to borrow money for stock or operating costs every month than keeping a reserve. I couldn't sleep at night if my company ran that way.

Well, I'm off to search the web for today's presidential debate. Wish me luck!
-Heather

No comments: